View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we bought our Springdale in 2009, I bought a cover from CW and brought them home "together". The first winter we covered the trailer parked next to our garage. In the spring, when we attempted an early departure to warmer places, we found that the cover was frozen to the trailer roof and we could not get it off the trailer. We had to delay our departure until the ice melted from the trailer roof. When we finally did get it removed, there was damage to all of the "drip moldings", damage to the roof itself (TPO) and damage to the air conditioner shroud. That was the last time the cover was used and, like hankpage, it's sitting in the garage on a shelf, "probably dry-rotting".

From that first winter, we simply decided to find "indoor storage" for our travel trailer. The first several years we rented space in an old manufacturing plant about 30 miles away. Cost was about $250 per winter. In 2013 we built a second "dedicated" pole barn on our property with the specific purpose of storing the fifth wheel during the winter and the snowmobiles/trailer during the summer. There's room for the 4 wheelers, the tractor and our boat as well, so it's a win-win-win to have covered and protected storage for our equipment and the trailer immediately available.

If I had to consider a "cloth cover" again, I'd elect to just leave the trailer sitting outside without a cover given my experiences with damage and limitations on ability to use the trailer during the winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote