Thread: Antennas...
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Our current RV came with the standard Winegard, and we didn't get decent reception at our favorite campground, but the TT we traded in got good reception at our favorite campground. I debated about adding the wingman, or just going to a Jack, as a replacement antenna, and chose the Jack. It didn't really improve reception at all over the Winegard, and the sister-in-law added the wingman to her Winegard, and it also didn't help.
Just looking around for better antenna's, found this "Homemade" model, and thought, what the heck it was worth a shot. The example uses coat hanger wire, and I happened to have piece of plastic the right length, and some copper wire the right length laying around, so I made this model in this image. It weighs about 1/3 of a pound, and fits easily into the basement storage with 20' of coax. The best part is that is reception is great. I just connect to the external antenna coax, and then hang it on the side of the RV, or if I really want to reach a weak signal, I hang it on the existing antenna(cranked up), and then can rotate it too.
Little more work to hook up, but reception is so much better. Using copper wire, it's bends easy, but you can quickly bend it back into shape. Look for the plans online if your interested!

By the way, I do use a antenna amplifier with it.
Looks familiar bow-tie antennas have been around for a long time.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote