View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I saw this video the other day…this brand new trailer was built specifically for this guy(apparently a collaboration) and the manufacturer knows he is a relatively popular youtube personality.. you think they would have double checked the final product as he was showing the whole process with the manufacturer on his channel…even had the factory rep on the channel.

Anyway it got me thinking about my brake system…what specifically should I be inspecting what brake maintenance on a one year old fiver?
I realize he has a disk brake system and I have electric..

If you have disk brakes I would double check the lines and how they are attached to the axles
I saw this video while in quarantine the past two weeks...

I watch his videos for their entertainment value because he seems to have a new problem or a new gimmick every couple of days... and occasionally he actually has a "real" and informative video.. rarely but occasionally..

In this video, I can't really believe that anyone with even a modicum of mechanical aptitude installed those brake lines in such a manner.. And it almost certainly wasn't don't by his local RV center because I know those fellows and they do much better work than that. Nor do I believe it was done that way at the manufacturer's facility..

But in watching most You Tube video channels.. you have to use a large application of SALT.... a grain ain't always enough..

With drum brakes... jack up the wheel, pull the breakaway pin and see if the wheel locks up... Replace the pin and rotate the wheel it should turn freely with a hint of a rubbing sound from the shoes dragging.. Then try to rock the wheel in and out by pushing on the top of the wheel while pulling at the bottom... It should not rock... if it does it's time for a bearing pack..

Look for grease leaking out of the wheel seal... it'll show up as an oily look or stain on the backing plate and/or the back side of the rim..

On hydraulic brakes if you need to add brake fluid... you got a leak.. FIND IT

Pull the wheel and check how thick the disc pads are and replace as needed..

Basically you can check the bearing just as you do with drum brakes..

That's the basics... not every thing but it'll get you by..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote