View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I don't think you will hear a chirp unless you have either a propane leak or the battery is going dead. This propane detector should be wired directly to the battery and will kill you battery if you don't have a battery charger on when the trailer is not in use or you are not plugged into shore power. It takes about a week or so for the battery to loose charge sufficiently for the annoying chirping to start. I can say this with a high degree of certainty (I learned the lesson).

A little off point but speaking of a chirping propane detector;

Set up in Fredericksburg, TX got inside getting everything going. Just about done and that dang detector started howling (not the dead battery chirp) - enough to make your eyes bug out, pull your hair and neighbors to come to your door.

Now I had just had eye surgery on both eyes and couldn't see squat in front of me. Pulled it off the wall, looked to unplug it (hardwired), squeezed it blindly and whacked it....nothing but squalling. DW was getting a bit aggravated so I fished around in my pocket, pulled out my Squirt Leatherman and cut one of the leads....ahhh, blessed quiet. Went out to get my stuff to repair the wire, pulled out the drawers so I could get to it inside the cabinet, crawled down/in there and started putting it back together. During this I asked DW to hand me a set of reading glasses I had bought due to my newfound lack of sight. Made the last connection and the howling commenced; what the heck? (not exactly what I said). Crawled around to the front where the detector was, glasses now on my head, and what's right there on the front left side? A BUTTON that I can now see says "test/reset"! "Test/reset"? Right there? With crystal clear vision I depressed that button...VOILA! No more noise!! Just to say that they can go off "just because" apparently.

Sorry for the diversion OP but the detector, chirp etc. kind of brought up that recent memory. Hoping your husband finds it an easy task to rewire that detector...heck there might even be a wire inside there that the guys putting it together overlooked.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote