View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 10:12 AM   #1437
LHaven

The furnace saga continues.

Tech arrived with my unit. He said the Dometic housing is shaped such that the sail switch isn't always free to swing completely, causing unpredictable voltage to the furnace. He reshaped it, a job he does often. He also tightened a couple of the board lead connectors, and said the unit worked 100% perfectly on the bench.

While reinstalling it, he found he had lost his photo of my wiring (the dealer extended the furnace cable with 4-way trailer wire, so all the wrong colors). He had to rederive which leads were which. He couldn't find voltage. After checking the inCommand cabling at the interface box in the A/C (perfect) and seeing great DC in but no furnace voltage out of it, he's now confident that the interface box itself is plotz. (This is not the gateway box, which I've already had replaced.) This is the third possibility so far that perfectly explains all the symptoms. He says they're "not that expensive." I guess I'll find out what that means.

When he reconnected the ductwork, I saw the far end of the skinny duct (the one that warms the tank cavity) flip up out of the floor cutout. I asked him if it had got ripped. He looked at the loose end and said it was obviously never connected to anything. He felt down inside and said, "There's a sheet metal duct in yours. I guess they just stuck the round duct inside it and let it rip. There's a cap made for that, I don't know why they didn't put it in."

I didn't even get my check valve installed in the water heater -- he said he was out of them and was having a hard time getting them from his supplier. So basically a tech visit today with no tangible improvements whatsoever.

On the other hand, I successfully installed a new toilet valve (cracked the mounting clip off the factory one tapping it to get sediment out of the screen), so that's my sole success story today. Looking forward to getting this check valve installed so I can go back to a magnesium anode, as this aluminum one barely grew surface crystals over 18 months.