View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 07:44 PM   #1428
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Got to the first campground on this week's trip, and the damn furnace does nothing but click again. I'm about ready to shoot it...
So I had the tech out again yesterday. In the week since making the appointment, the furnace had started working and then stopped again, and (luckily) was still misbehaving when he showed up. We had a nice long chat about what it could and couldn't be. (I also wanted to stick around to see him extract the unit so I could do it myself from now on if I had to -- it was a lot easier than I had expected.)

He was buffaloed, just like I was. He decided to take it in to the shop and put it on the bench and give it a good going over. He mentioned one of the thermostat wires was at 0V and his experience was that it shouldn't be. Since the outdoor temps shot from a steady 69° straight to 80-90° just two days ago, it's not like I'll be missing a furnace for a while anyway.

Also flushed out my water heater, got some sediment like long paint flakes and the aluminum anode barely has corrosion salts on its surface after well over a year installed, so I'm just going to wire-brush it lightly and reinstall it.

My furnace tech has a supply of check-valves that fit the intake port of my heater, and is used to installing them in vivo (he says he never installs water heaters without adding them), so I think I'm going to have him do this for me when he comes back to reinstall my furnace, so I can go back to the magnesium anode rods for better protection.

(For background on my weird sediment migration problem, see here and here.)