View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Vernon,

When we installed a similar generator at my BIL's house, he wanted to be able to position the generator inside (the power never goes out on sunny days) so he could keep it out of the rain or the snow/blizzard conditions. I found a "generator exhaust extension" and a "through the wall exhaust port" that bolted onto his generator exhaust, quick disconnects to attach the flex exhaust hose to the wall fitting. He can put his generator next to the wall, inside his pole barn, connect the exhaust to the wall fitting and the generator exhaust is ported outside his building. He has no "danger from CO" inside the pole barn and almost all of the noise is now contained in the pole barn, so all he hears inside the house is a "purrr", even with the windows open.

I wanted to make it even less noisy, so I went to Tractor Supply and bought an old Ford tractor replacement muffler, the "clamp on vertical stack muffler" type and mounted that outside his pole barn, to the generator exhaust pipe. Now his generator exhaust goes through the tractor muffler and exits near the roof overhang on his pole barn.

Now, about all you hear is the "mechanical noise from the alternator and the intake noise from the air cleaner along with the engine internal noise. All the "exhaust rumble" is outside and pretty much "muffled by the tractor muffler". Walk to the front of his pole barn and you can't hear the generator with the barn door closed.

So, now, when the power goes out, he doesn't have to put his generator out in the rain or leave the door open with rain blowing into the pole barn.

I don't think I'd want to stay in there with the door closed and risk an exhaust leak, but from an operational vantage, his equipment stays dry, his place is much quieter when he needs to use the generator and the total cost was around $200 when we did it. Now, with inflation, probably closer to $300. But maybe is something you'd want to look into for your generator to keep it out of the weather when you need to use it.

Here's the link to the Genexhaust website: https://genexhaust.com/bolt-on-extension-kits/

I'm not sure they are the cheapest or even the best, but their equipment worked great for his application and when I called them to see what all we'd need to do the job, their CS department was knowledgeable and very helpful.

ADDED: Here's a link to the type of muffler I got from Tractor Supply: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...0?cm_vc=-10005 The one I bought didn't have a flange on the curved end, it had a split on both sides of the pipe, slipped over the wall port and I used a muffler clamp to secure it in place.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote