View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 03:44 AM   #41
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yeah i saw where it had two 50 amp outlets ..the problem is they are two separate 50 amp 240 outlets..you can’t parallel them …i can’t see how you could tie that in SAFELY to power the house..you can’t run both wires to the panel…now if you had sub panels you could do something but it gets complicated . …so your limited to one 50 amp..now you could use other cords to power things in the house but would need to have them completely disconnected from the home electric system..it just seems complicated ..i’d get a regular standby generator and an ATS …or just get a smaller generator..i love a good challenge BUT you should always consult with a licensed electrician for guidance.
...not trying to shoot your idea down just offering a suggestion since you haven’t purchased it yet
The generator output is fed to a double pole 83A main breaker. From there, individual wires are then fed to a 50A breaker for each 14-50R on the generator. So even though there are two individual receptacles (14-50R), they are both fed from the same source. My plan is to install the two 50A generator inlets and bring the wiring into a 6" x 6" x 4" J-box and splice both L1 leads to a larger wire, splice both L2 wires to a larger wire and so on. From there, the 4 wire will enter the breaker panel and be landed at the appropriate terminals.

This may all be a moot point though, my generator arrived this past Tuesday (a week ago) and the generator was DOA....the engine simply will not start. I am in the process now of getting my money refunded and them picking up the tab for shipping the generator back for them to do whatever they want with it. I'm now looking at a 12Kw (running) 15Kw (peak) generator. I can make it work for out our house....not ideal, but workable. And of course that one only has the one 14-50R on the front of it, along with some 30A and the normal duplex receptacles. It also has a removable jumper to eliminate the neutral/ground bonding inside the generator, as that will not be needed when using it to provide power to the house breaker panel. I'm also going to probably opt for the built in Duel Fuel option, just in case I get caught in an emergency without a supply of gasoline....I've always got several propane bottles around the house....gas fireplace, two 30s in the camper, a gas grill, etc, etc.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote