View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
jasin1

Ems vs surge protector

What is the general consensus for shore power protection at home. I have a progressive industries ems and I hate to leave it outside plugged in all year round.
I also have a surge guard 50 amp surge protector that I use just at my house.
I have a separate Garage with 150 amp service. I have a dedicated 50 amp rv outlet running from that panel. I hardly use that garage at all.mostly just storage..I have a separate garage workshop for everything else.
I know everyone says you should use the ems and I totally agree to use it at the campgrounds but it seems like undo wear and tear to leave it plugged in all year when it’s very unlikely I will have a problem with the outlet.
The surge protector should cover voltage spikes. Low voltage while pretty unlikely can happen but I don’t think the converter would be damaged by slightly low voltage but who knows..I’ve never had that problem at my house
I don’t run air or heat or really anything other then keeping it plugged in for battery charge.
May be better just to get a separate trickle charger and plug that directly into a separate extension cord and roll up the shore power cable.
That way I only lose the charger if some problem ever came up.
I’ve lived here over 30 years and keep my boats plugged in on the pier without any protection and have never had an issue.
It just seems like the main reason for an ems is for campgrounds with questionable electric grids and possible faulty pedestals.
Just don’t want to wear out my ems then scramble to get one when i need it at a campground