View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 06:52 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck with your searching for the right truck !!!!! Part of the fun (the frustrating part for me) is the uncertainty of trying to determine if it's the right truck, in many cases, all "sight unseen" until the investment of several hundred miles to finally get a glimpse....

That said, as Danny mentioned, be very cautious with a "lifted truck" when trying to find the perfect tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. Not only does lifting the truck make it "taller" thereby causing the trailer to "sit pin high" shifting weight from the front trailer axle to the rear axle, and in some situations, overloading the rear trailer axle.... But also, those "taller and wider tires" can induce greater tire sidewall flex, making controllability of the trailer more difficult in sway conditions....

For me (others likely have a different opinion), I wouldn't want to be climbing into the cab of a taller than stock HD truck and I can assure you my DW would NEVER find it "amusing" which would almost always make the "towing adventure less enjoyable" on every trip as she complains about that "first step".....

Looking at the F350 you posted the link to, those larger 35X12.50R20LT Toyo tires with the "aggressive tread" would, very likely be much louder on the road and may not tow as well in crosswinds or when encountering the bow wave from passing trucks..... I'd "shy away" from any truck that's been extensively modified to "excel in desert offroading" and then expect it to retain all the towing characteristics of the OEM suspension and tires.....

The truck may be in excellent condition, but as it sits, it's not going to be a "great fifth wheel tow truck"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS