Thread: Best WDH
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 05:04 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I don’t want to ruin anyone’s day, but I had an F150 SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost with Max Tow and 2,200 lbs. cargo capacity. I use an Eaz-Lift Trekker WDH with the 1,000/1,200 bars. I like it, easy to set up, built in sway control, and Camco customer service is great.

My Passport 240BH was pushing the limits of that truck. The GVWR of the trailer was 7,000 lbs, dry weight was 5,000 lbs and tongue weight was listed at 535 lbs.

Now to reality. My real world tongue weight is 928 lbs.(42% higher than published tongue weight). The weight of the WDH adds another 100 lbs. All-in we Cat-scaled everything at just under 1,700 lbs on the truck. To get a best guess of tongue weight before you get to a scale, multiply your trailer GVWR times 13.5% to give you a reasonably close estimate.

Despite being well within my truck specs with a safety margin, the next factor is a little harder to swallow for many; The F150, especially 2015 and newer are a nightmare towing such a long, tall and heavy load. Towing power was never an issue, that truck felt like it could move mountains. Once they went to the aluminum body, the physics changed in some way. I NEVER had a stress free towing experience with the F150. At the end of the day, my fingers hurt from gripping the wheel, my neck and shoulders were sore and I was exhausted. Some days were better than others, but it wasn’t fun or safe. I added E rated LT tires, upgraded shocks, Timbren suspension bumpers, Helwig anti-roll bar on the rear axle, shifted loads, everything I could think of, except the most obvious solution; a different truck or a smaller camper.

Just about a year ago, I found my unicorn truck on order at a local Ford dealer, it was coming in as dealer stock so I bought it before it was even built. I know it isn’t an option for everyone, but it was the best move I over made. Yes, my truck now is overkill for my camper, but it gives me options I would never had considered previously.

I hate saying this, especially if everything you have is new, but you need a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. Period. End of story.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote