View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Dang Danny, the fella Peanut has really gone out of his way to ruffle feathers. I own a couple of websites and administer my church's website and guess I fully understand the intent of John's heads up and don't understand Peanut's need to be contentious. I am also a member of the popular Texas Gun Talk forum and right this minute:

Total: 378 (members: 133, guests: 245)

I can guess that "guests" category may fall into the bunch that John referred to and probably some percentage may be bad actors. When I built my biz website almost 20 years ago the country was a bit different place and I now wish I had not put a phone number on it. I was kind of young (well not really young) but innocent and junk phone calls were not yet a thing or to the extent they are now. BTW: Peanut quoted the "google dictionary"? Not a fan of google as I think they are part of what is wrong in the world today... that is just a personal feeling and don't ask me why...

I'm with you on Google. This website, like the Texas Gun Talk forum, has lots of "guests" at any given time generally outnumbering members by a large margin. Those guests may or may not be benign yet again they could be "harvesting" information from our members. And unlike our world of 20 years ago, there are a LOT of bad actors out there looking for a way to zap good folks. I've had it happen to me a couple of times. In our busy lives most of us get on a forum like this and think it's perfectly safe....and it is but a lot goes on to keep it that way. Although unlikely it's possible something might slip by and an unwary member then gets zipped someway. It's that way on every forum and every website. A timely, friendly....helpful heads up is something I appreciate. Others, maybe "other", seem to have an issue with folks trying to help.