View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #1106
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014301ktmhauler View Post
The wheels and 4 link upgrade look good to me. Im just concerned {not judging}the 19.5 / wheel tire will end driving on the beach for me. How do you think your truck would do, its basically the same as mine . Thanks
We took it on the beach (truck only, no trailer) down in Port Aransas at Mustang Island State Park. We didn't air down at all (80PSI front, 100PSI rear) and didn't get stuck, but did have some wheel spin on the looser mounds of sand. We ran in 4HI and I didn't run into any situation where I was concerned about being stranded.

I think tread has a lot to do with it. We're running the Michelin XDS2 tires, which we picked due to being a good compromise between off road and road manners. My personal opinion is that airing down is unnecessary for most beach driving. If you get into the really deep stuff or go out to sand dunes a lot, maybe then you need a different tire. FWIW, I'd feel safe airing them down to around 70PSI for extended periods of time, though I don't know how much additional "ability" that would give you.

We have onboard air from the 4-Link system, by the way. We use it to check and top off air pressure on both the truck and RV. One of the many great things about it.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote