View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #74
wborisenok

2 days out from our first trip! We're headed down the cape to spend a long weekend in Provincetown. One of our absolute favorite spots but this time we'll be experiencing it from a different light -- at a campground in our brand new camper. We'll be only a 10 minute walk to the center of town. Very excited.

I've spent the last week and a half cleaning, organizing, loading up. I think I mentioned I was going to do this earlier in the thread, but I bought a cargo scale and have weighed and inventoried every single thing I've put in there. Even down to the Command Strips. It's all in a spreadsheet with formulas and everything. We're currently at 330.65lbs and the only thing left to load in is our clothes. It's looking like our fully loaded weight will come in under 5400lbs. I am VERY happy about this! Still can't wait to get to a scale, though. Has anyone picked up on my OCD tendencies yet?

In other news, on Saturday I successfully installed our backup camera. I bailed on the t-tap connectors last minute when I got the clearance light off and saw that they used crimp connectors, so I ran to Home Depot and got the exact same ones. Put fresh splices on everything and tested the system before I drilled the hole for the camera. Worked like a charm. Not even going to lie, I was crapping my pants as I drilled. I'd bought two different bits because I wasn't positive which would be best, one was $5 and one was $20. The $5 bit worked perfectly and now I've got twenty bucks back in my pocket. Gotta love it.

Only had one minor hiccup during the whole install: I'd gotten to the point where I needed to fish the pigtail down to the new hole to connect it to the camera and I was able to grab it just fine with a pair of needlenose pliers..but when I plugged the barrel connector into the receiver on the camera wire and went to push it all back into the new hole, I realized that the combined length of the barrel connector on the pigtail and the receiver on the camera wire weren't going to fit. I was dead center on the back wall so I was right in line with a support of some sort and didn't have much room. So, my only option was to fish it the opposite way but the wire was too flimsy and I didn't have enough play to try and grab it with my fingers. Taped it to a wire coat hanger and got it up through the clearance light hole with no problem. Put some electrical tape over the barrel connector/receiver to ensure a tight connection, put everything back together, and sealed it up with some caulk. Going to do one more thin layer of caulk tomorrow just to make sure it's water tight. Very pumped about getting this done on my own, gave me some confidence for when I'll need to fix something that's inevitably going to break. Some pics below, caulk was still wet so it's still white in appearance.

wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote