Thread: Bearings/brakes
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #41
Marineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In any "Pi**ing match" everybody is going to get wet....

As for "thenumber one RV dealership" I'd have to say, based on whose advertising office ??? I've seen at least 10 dealerships with that same claim. In fact, Keystone claims to be the number one RV manufacturer. So does Forest River, Jayco and Winnebago.... As for Number one automobile manufacturer, Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Fiat/Chrysler all lay claim to that "cherished number one spot"...

So much for "The Number One Dealer said"....

As for routine maintenance, I stated (and I think it's valid for everyone) that when you buy a new trailer, it's a smart idea to inspect everything before the warranty expires. Until you look, you don't even know if there's bearings in all 4 wheels... Take a look at post #37 in this thread if you need "more proof about possible factory issues"....

Now, if we're going to quibble over whether bearings "should or will" go for 27 years. I'd say that like most carpenters, their house is the last to get a kitchen update and most mechanics who do it all day long don't want to go home and do it again..... So, putting off routine maintenance may be a "professional hazard"...

As for 27 years without repacking bearings ????? If someone "inspects them regularly" I'd have to ask first, how do you inspect them with grease all over them? and second, if you remove the grease, who would repack them with the same "old grease"? So, without answers to those questions, why inspect them without repacking them?

Back to the "quibbling". Whether someone chooses a "time based or a mileage based" maintenance schedule is entirely up to the individual. We're "quibbling" over whether it ought to be "sooner or later" based on individual opinions.... If I tow my trailer on dusty, rutty dirt/gravel roads, it's very likely going to need inspections and maintenance much more at 3000 miles than a similar trailer that's towed on a "smooth concrete highway" for that same 3000 miles.....

Why quibble. I think we can all agree that going 27 years between repacking bearing is a bit much and doing it every year might be "too often by some standards".... Where in the middle each person feels comfortable is not something to "quibble about on a forum"... Nobody wins and nobody convinces the other.... The purpose of the forum is to "convey information" not "force others to think the same as we do"....
Hahaha...I said the number one Cruise America outlet. Do you know what Cruise America is? It's an RV rental company. This was the outlet in Spokane, Washington. And this was a few years ago and he doesn't work there anymore. Here's the link so you can call them and prove I'm right.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Factory mistakes happen with all vehicles, including with some of the most dependable cars on the road like Toyota. And you'll know if there isn't a bearing on the wheel. lol

And I totally agree with your premise of how and where the TT is used, which is what any mechanic would ask someone. Same with the machines I worked on in the military. I was stationed in Twentynine Palms and the dust, heat, and roads all abused our equipment, which is why they required more frequent maintenance intervals.

Gee whiz, I'm not quibbling. You're the one who is quibbling, telling people to repack their bearings every year. Most people hardly ever use their TT and telling them to repack their bearings annually is foolish.

And my old utility trailer hardly ever gets used (40 miles a year) which is why the bearings have not needed repacking. And you can test the bearing by jacking up the trailer, spinning the wheel, inspecting the hub with the dust cap off, and then moving the wheel back and forth when it's not moving. I do the same thing with my RV.

Use the old grease? lol

And look at the thread. People are repacking their wheel bearings every year, regardless. Sorry, but I don't follow that creed, even if it's written in the manual. This is what it says; "Repack wheel bearings every 12,000 miles or every year, whichever comes first".
Marineman is offline   Reply With Quote