View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #53
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank r View Post
I have a 2019 2920BH which I tow with a 2009 Expedition. From the day I switched from a Tahoe to the Expy, I noticed it swayed more, which was to be expected with the Expy's IRS.

However, mid-way through last season, I noticed the sway becoming worse, and at the end of last season, it got to the point where I had to stay under 60mph, and any passing truck induced a white-knuckle moment. This year, I replaced the rear struts on the Expy (I knew at least one of them was bad) and added a pair of Sumo Springs, hoping that this would help.

Just got back tonight from a short weekend trip, and the sway is as bad as ever, if not worse than I remember. I have a Reese WDH, which I believe is set up properly. The tires on the TT and TV are inflated properly, and the lugs are all tightened to spec. On its own, the TV seems to ride just fine, with no hint of ride quality issues. When I got home tonight, I checked wheel bearing play - I was able to get just a hint of lateral movement in all 4 wheels, but nothing that seemed to be cause for concern. Would loose wheel bearings on the TT cause my issues? I'm sure I could snug these up a bit, but I'm concerned about overtightening.

Any input on where else to look would be greatly appreciated. Just for context, I've been towing larger TTs for 25 years with all sorts of TVs, so I am definitely not imagining this.

Thank you.
Maybe this has been mentioned, but have you checked the TT tires for a busted belt in one or more of the tires? I know with car tires a busted belt can make the car pull one way or the other and if you have multiple tires with such a problem it could lead to sway. It could also explain why the problem has come on gradually.

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote