View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #52
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If adding 200-300 pounds to the tongue created that much added sway, you have a "critical issue" somewhere. Whether it's the tow vehicle that is severly overloaded, the P series tires that just can't handle that amount of sidewall stress, the truck suspension "giving up the ghost", the truck receiver loose/broken or some other "truck related situation" or whether it's the trailer suspension cracked/broken, a spring hanger bent/broken, an equalizer damaged, spring bolts worn beyond help, a broken spring, loose U-bolts on an axle or some other "trailer related situation"...

Something's no right if that small amount of weight causes that much added sway that you have to stop on the side of the road to empty the tank in order to maintain control of the rig at highway speeds.

I wouldn't be towing that rig with my family until I found the problem and corrected it. Some things are just too valuable to put at risk "for the sake of a weekend away from home".....

As for backing at acute angles and seeing the wheels "displaced", Yes that's typical. I can see some (not a lot) of wheel/axle deflection when turning at sharp angles. It straightens out as soon as I pull forward and reduce the angle between the truck/trailer. The next time you see that much "deflection" stop, get out and look at the "blind side tires" that you can't see in the mirrors. It should be "fairly close on both sides"... If not, look at the suspension, something MAY be broken.
I agree. Adding weight forward of the axles should have stabilized the trailer. Not the other way around. i.e. So if the normal way of reducing sway, makes it worse, then the TV has got to be severely overloaded. Unless something is loose or broken.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote