View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #52
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The pin weight for the trailer in question is over 3900 lbs. This is estimated by taking 23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer BUT the trailer has a 4K payload capacity which will likely never be seen. The SRW new truck likely will be OK and while a dually might have been optimal, I think some scales info will show he is not exceeding his new truck's payload by much, if any.
I think George's bottom line above is correct; his percentages and payload statement may not apply to the OP's toy hauler. Toy haulers don't exactly fit the normal 5th wheel weight norms because the trailer has to be designed to be safe with weight distribution in either a "toy loaded" condition or an "empty garage" condition. So with a garage having a payload of 3,000# (actual on our Raptor), you might see some odd numbers with a toy hauler when comparing weights with loaded vs. empty garage. Our 2018 Raptor 353TS is nearly identical in specs to the OP's Impact 367. Loading a heavy toy (Motorcycle, side-by-side, etc.) in the garage can make a significant change in the hitch weight of the trailer. I am not suggesting you will see a 3,000# shift front to back - it will be some significantly smaller percentage.

Our Raptor has a GVWR of 17,000#, a payload of 3,100#, and had an advertised hitch weight of 3,200# (19%). Unfortunately, I have never scaled the rig with the garage in an empty condition. The CAT scaled hitch weight with my Can Am Rock Crawler LOADED is 2,840# (16.7% of GVWR). I am guessing the weight of the Can Am rock crawler to be about 1500#.

From a trailer payload standpoint, we have struggled to stay within the 14K# axle ratings on this trailer. Our Raptor has a lot of options in the back that I don't see listed with the OP's rig; extra awnings, party deck railing, 3 season sliding doors, two 30 gal fuel tanks, etc. all of which add total weight to the trailer, subtract from the payload available, and help reduce the tongue weight (by only a small percentage). So, the OP very well COULD see the 4K payload consumed, depending on how/what he loads in the garage.

We are very happy we bought a DRW; I love the stability and extra payload - but we probably would also have been OK with the payload of a SRW F350. I wanted more "extra capacity" in the trailer axles, so recently upgraded to 8K axles & springs, MORryde cross members, HD shackles and wet bolts, and disc brakes. Expensive, but worth every penny!

Hope that helps the OP.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote