Thread: Tpms?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
^This, After the second time it happened to me I finally woke up and realized what was going on. Had metal valve stems put in problem solved. The stems can be changed without removing the tire from the rim. I'd just like to say again just because you add a TPMS you are not safe from separations. I have had two tires separate and even after coming to a stop they still were holding pressure.

Like Marshall mentioned I would never let the thought that a tire separating and holding air would be a reason to think about not getting a TPMS. A separated tire IS going to blow. If you've caught 2 prior to that you've been very lucky. I've had one separate, tread come off, beat up the underside/side of the trailer and wrap around the axle by the time I could stop. I had no idea there was a blowout (no TPMS) except I saw some white looking "fluff" stuff flying from the side and back of the trailer (foam insulation under the floor). A TPMS would have told me that. Plus, if you look at some of the pics John (JRTJH) has posted in the past of tires separating from the inside you can see how a tire could self destruct and you would never know it. Always have a TPMS.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote