View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #56
wborisenok

Checking in again with another update. My plates arrived on Saturday so this afternoon I made the 1.5 hour trip north to pick up our TT and finally tow it home! I was a bit nervous as I've never towed anything before, but made sure I did all my homework beforehand so I was as prepared as possible. It was the most uneventful trip home in the best way. And the only real butterflies I had were leading up to pulling it off the lot, but then I settled right in.

I quickly felt comfortable changing lanes and I didn't have a single scary/nervous moment. To be honest, if I hadn't driven over a couple of highway bridges I probably wouldn't have noticed it was back there. Going over the bridge bumps I could feel a bit of drag but that was about it. Before I left the lot, I set my truck's brake controller gain to 3.5 and it performed great the entire ride. Truck handled the TT perfectly, I cruised along at 65 and only noticed the weight when the truck shifted down for incline, but even then never really lost speed. Truck never seemed overworked; hummed along around 2000 RPMs and bumped into the 3000s on hills. Equalizer hitch was excellent, I didn't feel a single sway. Not one! Trucks went past me, cars whizzed by, I got sandwiched a couple times -- nothing.

I bought the Snap 'n Zap tow mirrors and they're kinda worthless. Lots of vibration and I didn't feel like they extended my view very much. Likely going back to Amazon and I'll search for something else.

When I got home, I backed it up my driveway and parked her right alongside my garage. Nailed the landing. Neighbors were bummed, they expected a show. So did I. It'll be a nice treat once I get the backup camera installed. The ONESTEP chocks are great, they setup fast and lock into place in a second. I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to secure them so they don't "disappear."

All in all, it was the best first experience I could ask for. Gave me just the confidence I needed -- but that's not to say I won't continue to be cautious. I was riding solo this evening but next time we head out I'll have some very precious cargo to keep safe. Couple of pics below. Please ignore my lawn, we had a crazy windstorm on Friday and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Ha!

wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote