Thread: Overnighters
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #48
CWtheMan

Fredericksburg, VA – KOA

We got snubbed pretty badly at this KOA. We were headed south for some of the winter months and had left I-81 at Winchester, VA to take US-17 down to I-95 and ultimately connect to I-85. We were going to spend a couple of weeks at Greenville, SC. This was not a normal route for us but we wanted to explore US-17 – a nice drive on a well maintained US highway.

When we got to Fredericksburg we opted to drive down a 7 mile county road to the KOA. We did not call as it was a Wednesday and almost all KOAs have sites during week days. Right away the manager didn’t want to give us a site because they had a large caravan arriving on Friday. We never did figure-out why they didn’t want us there. But, we had an advantage, our KOA card was golden and once they found that out they put us in a back-in spot down in the “south forty”, even though they had nice long pull-thrus close to the CG store.

The CG is old and the sites were quite antiquated but had FHUs with CATV. While exploring a smallish lake to see if I could do some evening fishing I found there was a large family of beaver there. The management was having a hard time getting the fish and game people to move them.

This KOA is an exception from the norm in that it’s not close to any major highway. However the CG store was well stocked and some of the CG areas were modern with a nice sized swimming pool.

This link is active but a little deceiving.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/frederic...washington-dc/

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (1).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	32010 Click image for larger version

Name:	15a KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (4).JPG
Views:	54
Size:	674.4 KB
ID:	32011

Click image for larger version

Name:	15b KOA - Fredericksburg, VA (2).jpg