View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 03:05 AM   #26
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Probably need to see the friends sticker. I've seen lots of 3/4 ton diesels with payloads in that range but not a 1 ton - unless he's got some kind of super special, super heavy option on it. Your truck will have a better payload than a HD truck optioned with the diesel but the 1 ton would be better. And no, every fifth wheel does not require a single cab, 2 wheel drive drw to pull it. You would know that if you did some research.
There are some folks out there that think you need a F-450 dually to pull a pop-up, but I think there are far more people that are over loaded. I wouldn't want to buy their used pick-up.

A big part of the problem is the manufacturers advertisements and rv dealers zeal to make a sale. The manufacturers brag about towing capacity when the real limiting issue is usually payload capacity and axle limits. A lot of RV dealers just want to make the sale and tell folks they are fine when they are right on the limits or even over the capacity. And then they have a lousy towing experience. Because of this it always seems like one never has enough truck.

My first camper was chosen 5 yrs ago for light weight and ease of towing because I make cross country trips. It was rated 6500 lb total and I had a new F-150 with the 3.5l ecoboost so I could tow anything. The truck was rated 12000 lb towing so I hardly knew it was back there, except when passed by an 18 wheeler. I found out I needed that WDH cranked up to prevent lots of sway. And with a crew cab with a cap on the back I was nearing cargo capacity. I thought I was way over-trucked but in reality it was sized almost right.

So I go to a 10k lb fifth wheel(pick it up next week) and opt for the F-350 so plenty of truck right? The diesel knocks about 800-900 off the cargo so I have about 3000 lb capacity. Not sure of the actual number as I don't pick up the truck until later this week. But if I load up the front compartment of the trailer and get 20% on the pin I'm starting to head towards the limits real fast. Once again I was thinking I'm way over trucked but in reality I'm probably just about right.

Its a good thing I read these forums (I'm still on the Forrest River Forum) or I would probably be scrambling at the last minute to move from a F-250 to an F-350, or would need to drop the diesel, hard to do have you've already received the vehicle.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote