Thread: New Camper!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #39
busterbrown

I can't add too much to the conversation as most of the comments delivered have spelled it out nicely for the OP.

What I can tell the OP is that I purchased the 7600# GVWR trailer in my signature 3 years ago. At the time, I owned a 1/2 ton with a Blue OX sway pro hitch. Payload was about 1550 lbs. On on 4th trip out in early July, we experienced some severe cross 40 MPH crosswinds on the return leg. Boy, that was a "tow" altering, white-knuckle experience. The very next week, I purchased a very expensive Hensley to eliminate the dreaded sway. It worked but it also put me over on payload. By the start of season #2, we had sold our 1/2 ton and bought ourselves the 2500 Megacab Ram in my signature.

Now, my towing experience is completely relaxed, my wife can be in the driver's seat as much as me, and we can bring all the toys our 3 little boys want on our camping adventures. We're 4 days into our 5,000 mile trip across the southwest and the rig has pulled like a dream.

The best part about having a very capable TV is the stress-free conditions it provides. Our RAM (with Hensley) is the perfect tow package that I assumed my 1/2 ton would have provided. Boy, was I wrong 3 years ago. As we say around here frequently, "Been there, done that".
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote