Thread: New Camper!
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Shea, look inside the driver door and look at the stickers that will give you payload capacity and your gawr front and rear. Those are the numbers you really need to get an idea of where you can be towing a trailer.

I doubt seriously your cousin is trying to give you bad advice. I personally think he is just not knowledgeable about towing and relies on the "max tow rating" as so many do. In reality that number is literally fiction because it is based on a stripped down 2 door model with nothing in it that no one would ever buy and max towing capabilities built in. You will exceed your payload, and probably gawrs before you get close to that number unless you bought "that" specific truck.

RV towing and balancing weights can be complicated if you aren't familiar with it. "Sales" folks have no idea and are not trained in that - they spout what they are told and the information they are provided - don't understand it and don't question it. Same goes for the "service manager" or "techs" in a truck dealership OR RV dealership. Unless they have been through the typical RV ownership loop; bought it, fought it, broke it, sold it, (then 1st upgrade) bought it, fought it, it broke me, sold it....finally learned...upgrade truck, get trailer that fits...bought it, WOW that's fun and here we GO!! That after many thousands of dollars down the drain as we "learned".

You have taken the proper route IMO and are asking folks that do this. That is commendable, thoughtful and I hope beneficial for you and yours in the long run. Get those numbers and post back. There are lots of really good folks here that only want you to get off on the right foot and have a ton of "safe" fun with the family. Let us know.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote