View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
DennisT

Ken, you're right about breaking down my truck weights. I didn't think to check each truck axle when driving onto the scales. As far as unhooking the trailer and leaving it on the scales so it could be weighed independently, that would be the best of all for that single unit. Unfortunately, even though I went to the scales early Sunday morning, I didn't dare unhook and leave something blocking scale traffic - so I was sunk on that idea, which I actually did think of. (Although no one came along anyway)

Side to side weight differences would not have changed my tire pressure practice, but was helpful for balance of loading.

So when you, "removed 300 pounds from the front, " of your truck, you mean you, "tipped," back the weight distribution toward the rear because of trailer ball load. Sure, I would be doing the same thing. I don't think I'm going to worry about tongue weight - there's just not that much in the TT anyway, and I do think a lot of that full-fresh-water-tank-weight is somewhat forward of the axles; and we never travel with full fresh water anyway.

Beercan, thanks for the tire comment. I just couldn't find much on the Gladiators, and when I did the comments were often for slightly larger sizes of their tires. I stopped by Les Schwab again today. They said if they can find Maxxis tires, Les Schwab would not give them the same warranty service they give their other tires. They also mentioned they sell a lot of their Dynatrail tires for trailers and I have observed their employees use Dynatrail on their trailers. I'm looking closely at the local Schwab store as they have treated me very well, they are small, do a lot of farm tire work, and function a lot better than the city Schwab stores. Plus, the next tire store of any flavor for me is 55 miles away. So I might be looking closer at the Gladiators.

Thanks again,
Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote