View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleF View Post
We just bought a 2010 Alpine FW with original tires. We're about to go out on our first trip, and are debating whether or not to change the tires here (Ontario, Canada) or wait until we are in the US (heading to Memphis).

I want to make some calls to get pricing, but I don't know what to ask for. I know I should ideally be able to read the number off of the tire - the problem is that the trailer is 2 hours away right now.

Can anyone help? Also - any recommendations for brands?

Any recommendations for tire dealers in Dayton OH (our first stop.)

Thanks -
Michele
Here is a little tidbit to keep in mind while seeking replacement tires for your Alpine. Even though it probably came with ST235/80R16E tires they cannot be replaced with any LT 16” LRE tires. All 2010 alpine models were equipped with 7000# axles. In all probability those axles were derated to 6750#, (look on the trailer’s certification label to verify the GAWR) or very close to that figure. Currently there are zero 16” load range E Light Truck tires capable (suitable) of the minimum requirement for fitment on those axles.

http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-y...pine&year=2010

CW

p.s. OK, here is a little background information on the ST235/80R16E tires. They are produced in three distinct load capacities, all at 80 psi; 3420#, 3500#, and 3520#. When a tire size is produced like that with three different load capacities the lowest load capacity takes precedence. So, only the 3500# & 3520# tires qualify for fitment on 7000# axles. Because of the 3420# tire, Keystone would have to inform NHTSA of the specific load capacity of the tires used on the 7000# axles and insure that information was on each certification label and in the trailer’s owner’s manual. To avoid that hassle Keystone just lowers the axles GAWR to fit the situation. The owner can use any of the three load ranged tires.

Below is a picture taken last year of a Keystone trailer comparable in weight to yours. It shows the GAWR set at 6750# per axle.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=22027
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote