View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's not "giving the impression" they will be way heavy, it's reality. The dry pin weight alone exceeds the payload of the truck. Ignoring the payload (that little sticker on the door) and worrying only about rawr is not a good choice - especially for someone new to towing - why not forget the rawr and just go straight to tire capacity only and get heavier tires? They CAN do something about it and the OP even listed some options himself - he knows what he's looking at and has done some homework. He said Keystone states the dry pin is 2080 - there is no need to weigh to find that out and it will be way low from a loaded trailer. He's weighed the truck, no guessing there and we know that the gvwr of the truck should be 10k. This isn't "trying" to be realistic, they are real numbers. You say it might not be "that" bad but how much is "that" bad? He will be over payload by several hundred pounds, to me that's bad...and unsafe.
Whatever. You can twist what I said anyway you want. I never said he wouldn’t be over his GVWR. In fact, the very first thing I said was that he would be over it. I just told him that his load MAY not be close to 4,000 lbs. The only reason I mentioned the axle rating is because someone else told him he’ll most likely exceed that as well. I don’t think he’ll exceed that so I said so. I never said the axle weight will be fine so you’re good to go. You guys all like to say weights are going to be the absolute worst case scenario and the world is going to stop spinning. I simply stated the weights MAY not be as heavy as what you all say they’ll be, then gave my ACTUAL weights on a similar sized trailer. I never said the axle weights are fine and ignore the payload number. I don’t know why you get heartburn over someone providing real weights instead of some calculated weights based off a percentage of GVWR.