View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 08:45 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When an individual is "speculating" about towing, new to it etc. the last thing, IMO, is to give them lowball numbers. What one person runs in a trailer has nothing at all to do with what another person does. I've seen folks carrying unimaginable stuff in a 1/2 ton, or Taco, pulling trailers way bigger than they should or were rated for - I'm sure they were told "I do it...so can you". The reason, and you know this, for "estimating" those numbers at the highest level is because we have no idea of what that person has in mind and the only way to even sort of try to keep them safe is to estimate on the high, logical side. If the truck can't fit that it's not appropriate for the job. IMO new folks looking for solid advice to keep them safe is not the time for "you can get away with this" guidance.
I get that, but giving the impression that they will be way heavy and there isn’t anything they can do about it isn’t good either. I’m being realistic. I simply stated what my ACTUAL numbers are with a 5er that has a dry pin weight a couple hundred lbs more than his. Personally, I have quite a bit of stuff packed in mine, I don’t know how I could ever get my payload to 4000 lbs. 23% of my GVWR would give me 300 lbs more than the OP.
However, as I stated, he could possibly get that high, but I also let him know that he may be well below that as well. We don’t always have to be gloom and doom. Someone pointed out worst case scenario, I pointed out it MAY not be that bad. We can speculate high, low, or anywhere in between. He doesn’t have to, he already has the truck and trailer, he can go weigh it.