View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
pineappleexpress

2008 super duty series "engine power reduced"

We recently were hauling our 5er, lightly loaded, from MN to WI out 94E. There are slight uphill grades but nothing that should have raised an eyebrow. I noticed from the get go that if I wasn't using the cruise control it seemed to lack some "go power". Any time I'd have to give it a lil more my boost would run anywhere from 2.8 to 3.5 or so. My truck is bone stock, no upgrades or tuners.

Coming into Baldwin, WI there's a stretch that's a lil longer of a hill, again, nothing that should have raised concern. No temps were overheating, boost running at about 3.2 - 3.5, running at 60-65mph and the truck goes into limp mode. I get the wrench on the dash light and error reading "engine power reduced". I was limited to 45mph so I pulled off, shut it down and waiting 20 minutes. After that, restart, get going and there were no issues.

Started reading some ford tech forums, and brought the truck into a dealership which confirmed an over boost code error and waste gates were operating as normal. I find out here was a program from Ford for the ECU to fix something else. When the program was written it didn't take into account for towing heavy loads on hills. Consequently when you tow loads up mild to increased grades with and kind of duration this program goes into limp mode to save the turbos.

So, I'm getting the most recent flash for the ECU done this week which should remedy the issue and I'll report back since I'll be taking the same route shortly.
2012 Cougar 330RBK polar package
pineappleexpress is offline   Reply With Quote