View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=NH_Bulldog;371032]I watched that video before. They cite the 5.0 for ease of service (and ability to tune for performance, exhaust, etc.). No one there is actually an impartial judge, so I take it as nothing more than opinion. You have Ford guys, Ram guys, GM guys, and in those groups you have diesel vs. gas, etc. ultimately it is about individual need or preference. We went with a 3.5L EcoBoost and that gives us all the towing capacity we need and yet great mileage as a daily driver. For us it works, for others maybe not.[/QUOTE]

The above is about as true as it gets IMO. While I am no fan of the ecoboost 3.5, I've never owned one because I won't. I have driven them and their 2.7 cousins. But, as I've said many times, when you artificially pump up 213 cubic inches to push out the kind of power the ecoboost does, the potential for catastrophic failure is a reality. Having owned a 1st generation attempt from Ford to turbocharge gas engines I can say that the performance increase is great but they can and will fail, and when they do dig deep in the pocketbook.

That said, the current ecoboost must be doing something right because it is gaining a following. I know it's because of the performance you get vs the upfront cost. I hope it works out for everyone that owns them. I grew up when bigger was better; I owned Chevy 283s, 327s, 409; Ford 428, 360, 351 and Chrysler 383s, 360, 440 etc. 213ci. came in a Pinto or something. So the 426, 440, 428/9, 427 etc. have all gone bye bye and we have a new generation of engines doing unbelievable things. As NH_Bulldog said, some of the things work for some folks, and other things work for other folks....and that is as it should be and no one is "wrong" for the choice that works for them. Merry Christmas All!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote