View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
SummitPond

Education please: Torque vs HP

Badbart in this post got me thinking (typically a dangerous thing): What's the difference (in application) between HP and torque. From my days in physics class, HP is the rate of doing work, whereas torque is a force applied some distance from a pivot point resulting in translation of an object around that pivot point.

Our friend Google doesn't really clear things up for me:
  • What is the difference between horsepower and torque? ... Horsepower is measured at higher RPMs and torque is the low-end “grunt” or low RPM pulling power of an engine. Diesel engines only make around 300-400HP in those big rigs, but they make anywhere from 1,500 - 2,000 ft-lbs.
  • What does horsepower and torque mean? ... Power is the rate of completing work (or applying torque) in a given amount of time. Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe.
I can see where a Diesel engine can produce more torque as the "explosion" in the cylinder yields more force (and I guess a Diesel has a larger bore displacement). But to my simple mind a Diesel will allow you to produce the same HP as a gas engine just at lower RPM, which is why a gas engine must rev up to deliver more HP.

Other than having a screaming gas engine under the hood while trying to climb a steep slope (ignoring the other benefits of a Diesel) what am I missing?

If and when I upgrade our TV I would consider a Diesel. I'd like to be as educated as possible, knowing I won't be able to believe half (or more) of what comes out of the salesperson's mouth.

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote