View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you talk around enough you will find that guy who is "putting a band aid" on a truck with 100k miles and is afraid to drive it. The next guy you talk to will have 500k miles on the exact same year and model and has done nothing more than oil changes with the cheapest oil and filter you can buy. My dad has an 06 dmax with 80k miles on it and never done anything other than an EGR delete when the EGR went bad. My 2011 has 146k an the only thing I've replaced was the #1 EGT sensor and #2 Nox sensor. I have a friend in the transport world who ran his dmax to 500k miles and rebuilt it with plans of running the truck to 1,000,000 miles before replacing it (still on the original Allison). I also have friends in the transport industry all with well over 200k miles on Fords, Cummins, and Dmaxs. A couple that have reached the 1,000,000 mile mark. Most of them feel the same way, don't make mods for power, make mods for reliability. I've added a FASS system to mu truck, other than that, it's stock. So again, I would not hesitate to buy a big 3 diesel, other than previous noted exceptions, with 100k miles on it, if that is what is in your budget.
I think your comments on mods are spot on and more folks should take note of it. Your observations about what happens to one isn't necessarily the norm is right as well. My question, I guess to everyone is, who wants to drive the same vehicle long enough to accumulate 200k or more unless you drove 100k a year? Now I've driven 100k a year (for several years) but that was in my company car plus my personal vehicle. My company vehicle was replaced every 100k (and I never had a major problem of any kind) and I replace my personal vehicles at less than 2 years generally (except my faithful CJ7). I may be weird, and I've really liked some of my vehicles, but I guess I have "wandering" eyes??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote