View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Not to start a GM/Ram/Ford argument because they're all good, I would just relay a conversation I had with my neighbor in FL about his tow truck. He has a GM Duramax (don't know what year) with 125k on it. He used to drive it to FL from TN for every trip a few times a year. He now leaves it in TN and will not drive it unless he is pulling his trailer because it costs too much to repair constantly. He said seemed like every time he went somewhere something went wrong. He had one failure that cost him $1200 and shortly thereafter another for $2500. At that time they told him he was putting a bandaid on it and he was looking at substantial costs down the road, so he quit driving it. He said he had been researching and talking to people and he was going to buy a Ram Cummins. Just relaying the conversation.

Personally, I've never owned a vehicle with over 100k on it and won't. The only time I've ever been stranded by a vehicle was when it had 96k on it. I thought it would be good for well over 100k and wham! In the middle of nowhere. For decades I changed vehicles when, or before, the warranty expired. That's not a cost effective way to drive vehicles but I don't like surprises. We are now looking at moving to a Ram 3500 diesel. I might or might not. Haven't convinced myself on the diesel yet.

The recommendations for at least a 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton if you can find it, are sound. With the number of folks you will have, and the size of the trailer you are getting, it is a very real possibility you will want to upgrade. We spent 3 months in ours (38'/3 slides) and were getting a bit claustrophobic. With 4 I can only imagine that would intensify. Good luck in your search and wishing you great fun on your new adventure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote