View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

As far as literal AC function I understand the outside temp is irrelevant, but, from a practical standpoint the outside has a lot to do with how the AC cools. Our black vent covers, AC shrouds, black windows etc. generate a ton of heat inside of the trailer; all of which the AC has to counter - the hotter it is the harder it has to work. At some point an x sized AC will not cool an x sized trailer simply due to the amount of heat coming into the unit and the limitations of the AC unit.....then you get a larger unit or 2nd AC Simplified I understand but those are factors.

At 50 degrees a +/- of 5% (2.5 degrees) is good enough for me with the infrared gun. It's also good enough for my heating/cooling contractor to use when diagnosing AC problems. The gun says its optimum reading range is 18" and that's what I used when reading the AC vents in the trailer. I do also use it for reading my wheels when traveling....much more accurate than putting my hand on the wheel/tire It's just a good way to get a quick indicator of what's going on; beats the heck out of hanging little thermometers in the vents, waiting for them to get to max cool and then trying to read them as I've seen done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote