View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #123
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
So, being a newbie here, let me see if I have this right. I have a 2008 5.7 4x2 SR5, tow package on it, my Keystone Outback Ultra-Lite 260UML is 5912lbs dry, and I can tow 10,200lbs according to GVWR on door. Payload for truck is 1475lbs and ya'll are telling me I cannot tow this trailer?

Here is the Keystone link to that trailer:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

Some things to note;

GVW of that trailer (dry + carrying capacity) is 7600lbs. You need to figure 13% of the gvw for tongue weight = 988 lbs. Allow 125lbs. for the hitch - 988 + 125 = 1113 lbs. 1475 payload less the 1113 lbs. for the tongue/hitch = 362 lbs. left for family, pets, tools, jacks, ice chest, bbq etc., etc. Odds are slim to none that you make those numbers with that truck.

Max tow numbers (10,200) are flights of fancy and meaningless in the actual towing world. They are numbers derived in some mythical environment that will never be seen in the real world....sort of like a Tundra pulling the space shuttle. As you can see you will max out the real life, important numbers before you can reach that "sales/selling point" number.

You may say that you will not ever load the trailer to gvw....GOOD! You shouldn't run the trailer at max weight nor the truck. Unfortunately, if you actually USE the trailer you will find that the contents grow....and grow. There is no need whatsoever to empty out the house every time you want to go somewhere so you won't. When gone you will find you need something, so it gets added...and so it goes.

Toyota makes a good vehicle - I own one...but not a truck. They are just now starting to figure out how to make a truck that fits the American market, especially towing. An '08 suspension won't be robust enough to carry a load at max day in and day out. They were designed to carry a light load and ride comfortably. The brakes were, and still are, woefully inadequate for towing a heavy trailer. Little brother had a Tundra and loved it; so much he bought a small 5th wheel and dropped on it. He said it did well and he "sure liked that truck". He made a couple of trips (overloaded) and he "still liked that truck", but, he bought a new (17 if I recall) Ford F250 King Ranch instead then upgraded the trailer. Met him in FL and asked how the compared and all he could do was grin ear to ear and said "boooy, I never knew towing could be so easy. That diesel pulls the trailer like it's a sack of straw and it handles so much better - I love it". But he also said about the Toyota "I sure liked that truck". After a terrible experience with that Rockwood he sold the trailer and truck. Went back and bought a new Tacoma and "he sure loves that truck".

All that to point out that IMO Toyota makes good vehicles, and a Tundra is a good vehicle....doing what it is meant to do; which isn't towing a heavy, long (almost 31') travel trailer. Current model year Tundras have improved a lot but they still have some weak points compared to the big 3. Overloading, or loading one to the max with that kind of sail behind you, is unsafe for the family and others on the road IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote