View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #20
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Jackmanz View Post
So we've been camping a couple years and we upgraded to a new to us 2012 Hideout 31BHDS.

It was winterized when we bought it but we've been itching to camp it so leaving the weekend after Christmas for a couple day get away.

Looking for suggestions from seasoned campers on winter camping.

Gonna take space heaters so we don't burn thru so much propane. Was thinking of filling my freshwater tank for use and emptying it and dumping before we head home instead of staying hooked on a full hookup sight and taking the chance of something freezing.

Really looking forward to the tips and tricks you all can offer.

Thanks in advance!!
For a weekend I personally would dry camp. Keep the rig winterized and take some jugs of water for drinking etc. No water into your rv systems. Put a bucket in the sink for dish and hand washing and throw it outside. Use a port-a-potty or campground restrooms. My Monty 5er has a winter package with heated tanks etc. and I have lots of heat wrap and heated hose, even with that If I go camp for just a couple days I dry camp. Make sure you have plenty of propane and run the furnace. It will put heat in the underbelly which you want. I also use electric heaters during the day to supplement the furnace. At night I use a heater and electric blanket in the bedroom but the rest of the rv is heated with the furnace. Turn it down to around 65. Bedroom stays toasty with electric heater and blanket. So for just a weekend camp, I would recomend dry camp. If longer freezing camps, you need more heated equipment. Good heated water hose, lots of heat wrap for dump hose and valves, and I even wrap the campground water spigot. My rv tanks are heated so the heat there is on. I have an extra 30 pound propane tank and rotate it as I run through my other tanks. Never run out. Im always in a Rv park so not boon docking. Just need the right equipment for the situation. Have fun!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote