View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
Mikendebbie

Our radio in the Montana barely picked up FM stations and AM was nothing but static. I pulled the unit out and the flat wire antenna was rolled up behind the radio. I rolled it out and moved it around to various positions testing how signals were picked up. FM was “best” with the antenna suspended in the middle of the living room (not a viable option) but signal was barely improved with it extended vertically hidden behind the TV.

I bought a $15 car antenna at Walmart and mounted it in the entertainment center behind the TV in the back corner by the outside wall of the slide out. FM is much improved and AM is better but weak and still lots of static. We have a good portable AM-FM-weather radio that we use for AM listening.

In our previous RVs where the radio actually worked as expected - they had an antenna mounted on the roof (96 Sportsmen, 93 Alpenlite, 87 Alpenlite). Our 2011 Jayco had a worthless radio with no exterior antenna. The radio in our 2017 Laredo was also worthless. I am convinced that if you want a radio in the RV that functions like a car radio - you will need to have a roof mounted antenna. I don’t want to poke holes in my roof - so we use the portable.

Our unit does not have KeyTV so I have no idea how the radio is supposed to interface with that system.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote