Thread: Air Bags
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

No one can tell you if it's worth YOUR money and time. It was worth my money and time IMO. I don't need them to level the truck as I have a travel trailer and the wdh is adjusted for that. I bought them (them as in a sermon each truck) to make it easier to back trailer in the driveway. Crowned street and inclined driveway can cause hitch to drag driveway apron.

What I found out was 2 other advantages. 1. Adjusting ride for road conditions. It can help smooth out certain washboard roads. 2. It's a tremendous advantage hitching/unhitching. I have an on board compressor and tank for train horns and I have electric solenoids on the air bags to inflate/deflate the air bags.

I wired controls in the cab and at the driver side of the bed at the end of the bed. I also have a Husky tongue jack with the remote control. I can back up under the trailer, hit the air up until the ball seats. Put a little forward tension on it so it will latch. Then with the air controls in the bed raise the rear end high enough to put the wdh bars on with little effort. Then let the air out to my "usual" 20 psi ride pressure and I'm on my way.

I've had both AirLift and Firestone brands and really can't tell much difference. Buy a plastic tubing cutter for a few dollars and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Also run the air line tubing thru some rubber or vinyl hose if you route it thru any metal framework or body panels.

The on board air was installed for the "hello, I'm here, don't cut me off" train horns but are so convenient for the air bags, makes adjusting them while driving possible. I plumbed in a quick disconnect air chuck in the back of the bed as well. Now it's a simple matter of plugging in the air hose to air up tires, or use compressed air to blow sand or wood chips out of the truck bed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote