View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatQuezada View Post
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with the Ram Boxes that I bought last November. I bought what was on the lot. I did not know at the time the 5th wheel prep option and the ram box option mutually exclude each other. The truck we saw next to the one we ended up buying did have the 5th wheel prep. I seem to recall the salesman saying it would be possible to add.(yes, i know what the responses will be to this one)
Now, 11 months later we just ordered what will be our first fifth wheel camper. it will arrive probably in eight weeks. So now comes the part about preparing for a hitch. I will try to install the puck system. I ordered the parts today, that is both the 5th wheel prep kit and the goose neck kit, about $500 total.
I even tried to find a local shop that would do the install and would have gladly paid a competent shop for their ability to correctly locate the 5 big holes required. No such luck. I even called back to the original salesman who said our dealership would not do that, they'd have to farm it out, but I got no answer to the next question which was , what shop do I take this to?
Looks like I'm going to have to put my new shiny truck under the knife myself.
The instructions for the kit tell me to loosen bolts on one side and remove them from the other in order to raise the bed for clearance. Did you do this with your 2500 puck install? How much clearance did you really need? Did you have to remove the filler for the gas or in my case do you think I'll have to remove the filler for the diesel & DEF? What other helpful hints might you have? I'm going to duplicate your paper template on top of the pucks method so I can see where the small drill bit ends up relative to the pucks and then I'll be able to make slight adjustment as needed. But any further hints / suggestions anyone knowledgeable with this can provide will be a blessing. It doesn't appear ( and I've been combing the internet for months) that too many have tried this. I guess we'll be somewhat of a special club.
The reason the Ram Box and Puck system is not a available together is that with the Ram Box the current extended pin box will hit the side of the bed. You will need to find a short pin box Reese makes a pin box that rotates at the back for short beds.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote