View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

My thoughts on towing it with a half ton......you need more truck.

What is the payload listed on the sticker of your door on the truck? That would be a good start, but;

The gvw of the trailer is going to be 9500 lbs. It's 35' long. It has a dry tongue weight of 965 lbs. so figure 1425 lbs at gvw. What was that payload?

You have 3.23 gears; those are for driving down the highway and getting good mileage, not for towing. In anything other than flat terrain your truck will really struggle.

If you have a Denali you might just want to run the truck over a scale. I suspect the weight of the truck very well might reduce whatever payload is listed on the door due to actual weight vs your gvw.

You have a 10k Equalizer. You got a good hitch just not big enough. At the very least you need to put 1400 lb. bars on it. I think the shank may already be rated at 14k. Check your hitch...is it Class III?

I know you think it towed nicely; I said/thought the very same thing and posted that on this forum....but, I hadn't pulled it with a truck that was made to pull it. There is not any comparison (and I hate that phrase but it's true) between pulling a trailer that size with a 1/2 ton and with a HD truck.

I tried pulling my trailer with a truck very similar to yours but with a 3.55 rear end (I also had a 3.92). I can't imagine trying to tow it loaded with a 3.23. Additionally, if you try you need to install air bags, LT tires and in my case HD shocks. All to no avail. I made one trip with it and knew how close I was to being overloaded and the truck wasn't cut out for it. I was worried constantly about causing an accident or injuring us or someone else. I was literally sick. When I finally made it home I immediately (within 3 weeks) went down and bought a HD truck.

Keep in mind that you have a 35' sail attached to the rear of your truck. I'm sure you have soft sided, P rated passenger car tires. Soft springs etc. They don't handle the push/pull of almost 10,000 lbs. very well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote