View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
RGene7001

I dont think towing with Explorer is an impossible or dangerous idea. I tow quite substantial Passport with a midsize unibody SUV and it never gave me any white nuckle experience although someone on this forum tryed to convince me otherwise (LOL), because it is simply impossible to tow almost 30 feet with a midsize SUV without having this experience and putting in danger the entire Interstate Highway System.
The good thing is that midsize Passports are very towable, well balanced, and very unlikely to start swaying just because you ho faster than 50 mph. I would rather be towing my 2670 and not a single axle 18 footer or popup which I see frequently swaying wildly behind any TV
Dont be preoccupied by hitch weight, think about how effective is weight distribution. 800 lb spread over 4 wheels means just 200 lb added to each. Big deal? Not, unless these 800 lb hang on the tail and upset your balance.
You have to avoid hitches with long shank because they will extend your rear overhang which as a lever conducting trailer movement to the steering wheel.
If you have smaller wheel/higher profile tire combo on the Explorer it may have to be changed to bigger wheels, 19' at least and stiffer, lower profile tires with good load rating and inflated to the max
The only true problem I can see is Explorer's much softer suspension compared to the ML which is heavy duty stiff.
But I would definitely give Explorer a try.
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote