View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Royalwapiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I put mine down (I added one ahead of the front axle that matched the 2 from the factory) with a piece of pressure treated 2X8 under the pads. 1.Our unit sets on blacktop with PT lumber under the contact points.
2. I don't think any "critters" would be put off going another few feet to gain entrance.
3. I'm not concerned with a flat tire. Hasn't happened to me in yet (been camping about 20 years), maybe I've been lucky.
4. The reason I put the stabilizers down is wind and ice. One year I checked on the camper after a particularly nasty Nor'Easter ice storm and the tongue had slide over about 18". Thankfully the tongue jack did not bend, most likely due to the ice. So I figure having 7 solid surfaces will get me more friction resistance than one,
This is what has worked for me and as you can see others have their own thoughts so go with what you think will work best for you.
I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote