View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
teacherman

Well, here goes...

OK. I have learned so much since I joined this forum the other day. This is great.

So, here goes with some of my questions:

I had pretty much settled on a Keystone, based on ratings and a buddy's recommendations, as well as the floor plan of the Hideout 31RBDS. I bought my truck with an eye to doing this, and retirement has come a bit sooner than I thought it would. That's OK, believe me I am well out of warranty, and swinging around in the trees with a lit chainsaw is not really a sextagenarian gig.

I want to keep the trailer under 10K gtw, being rated to pull 13k it seems within range of prudent. I had over 14.5K once with my dump trailer full of just over 5 tons of gravel, and it pulled surprisingly well up some good hills, so it seems 10K would work. Trying to keep it with this truck, because I like it and this is what I have.

I've read that over 28 feet the trailer should be a fifth wheel, but others tell me a TT with an LDH does just fine. I want to buy one RV trailer rather than experimenting experientially (I've paid enough tuition over the years, LOL), so I plan on researching this as long as necessary to try to get it right the first time.

I have come up with a list of gotta-haves:

Outdoor kitchen.
Separate room for our five year old son (bunkhouse), rather than just a folding sofa.
Cold weather prep package for winter use or at least storing it when we move to New Hampshire next year.
Durable, reliable slideout mechanism.
Separate exit from the bathroom makes a lot of sense to me.
Solar prep wiring would be nice, as would a place to keep a quiet-ish generator.

I wanted to keep it a TT to hold on to my bed space, but perhaps a 5th wheel might have added space for bikes and canoes... I know a box can be built to store things forward of the 5th wheel hitch, which in my truck looks to be a quick switchout process, so maybe a 5th wheel is the way to go, esp. if it's more stable on the road. I have a nice trifold bed cover, but I believe it could stay if folded up when pulling the beast.

I'd set a general price guideline of about $20K, knowing it's like a boat, and it only goes up from there once I'm in it. Found a 2017 31RBDS 250 miles away that looks to be a good price, though a pricier 2019 has a sturdier looking front panel. I want something I can maintain for at least a while, and I don't mind buying used as long as I know what to look out for.

I'll shut up now. Thank you in advance for advice and suggestions!

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote