View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
Thanks, I dod find some dicor self leveling at the rv shop nearby. I noticed when I was in the stall inspecting earlier, there's a 1/2" seam around the inside of the actual vent that has some loose spots. Not sure if this dicor is what I need to fix that, but i bought some anyways. I'll work on it this weekend and let you know how it goes.
DO NOT seal the INSIDE of the vent expecting to prevent outside water leaks !!!!! That you'll do is mask the symptom and hide the outcome (until the roof rot is unavoidable).....

ONLY seal voids in DICOR self leveling sealant ON THE ROOF !!! NEVER attempt to seal from the inside !!!!!

The only means to seal or reseal DICOR is to get on the roof, clean the area well, pull away any loose/damaged sealant, apply a new coat that extends at least 1" beyond the old sealant in any/all of the damaged areas. Allow the new sealant to set up for a few hours, then visually (don't touch it) inspect the application and, if needed, reapply/touchup the areas you think need additional DICOR. If you don't see any, climb down, put away the ladder and have an adult beverage.....

Chances are that what you're seeing on the inside of the bottom of the roof vent structure is the butyl/clay putty tape that's used under the roof vent. That isn't the primary means of waterproofing the vent/roof surface and the DICOR will remove any potential for voids in that area to be a concern. I wouldn't even address a void in the clay putty that's seen from the inside with the flashing removed from the roof vent.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote