View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akegb3 View Post
Hi all,

I'm in comparison shopping mode for purchasing a new tow vehicle (truck) for our 2016 Keystone Passport (195RBWE).

We've been using our 2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew (4x4) since we purchased the trailer and it has performed "ok", except for steep and/or lengthy hills. Second trip we had a blown sparkplug and ever since have worried about another one.

We don't plan to upgrade this camper to anything bigger in the future, but do want something that will tow without any worries. I had been looking at the 250/2500s series from Ford/Chevy(GMC)/RAM, but have recently discussed the 150/1500s with my very knowledgeable son-in-law who tows his race truck with a RAM 3500 DW Diesel.

Apparently the new 150/1500s towing capabilities are far better than they were in 2003. Does anyone have a compelling reason why I should not consider a 150/1500 model? I definitely don't want a Diesel due to their higher maintenance costs. And, it appears the 250/2500s towing capacity is not much higher than the 150/1500s.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Ed

Ed, I don't know anything about your family but your age, married or not, kids or not will make all the difference in how that line I highlighted goes. We are retired and just 2 of us. I would have told you unequivocally 6-8 months ago, after many years of RV ownership, that there as zero chance, ZERO that DW and I would have a 5th wheel. Fast forward to now; DW changed her mind and we are seriously looking at 5th wheels to purchase. That kind of scenario can and does play out for LOTS of folks and if you have a young family the chances are that it will.

If you are positive you will never want anything bigger than what you have a current 1/2 ton will do. If not go with a 3/4. 2020 is seeing some changes in payloads due to ?? I don't know. From past experience I went from right at 1600lbs. payload in a 2013 Ram 1500 to right at 3100 in the 3/4 I just got rid of - almost double. I just bought a new 2019 3500 and it is 3986. So pick your poison basically.....and know your plans or buying trucks year in and year out can get expensive.

I don't know the 2020 specs on the 1/2 tons but it seems the big 3 are "reaching for the stars" in trying to up each other in payload and towing capacities. With your current trailer, and if you never plan to get larger, any of the big 3 1/2 tons would do an admirable job-yes truck capabilities have changed dramatically in the last several years. Many like, and tout, the abilities of the Ford EcoBoost V6. I'm not a fan simply because I don't think a 213 c.i. sv6 boosted with thousands of $$ of add ons to be like a big block can in fact do so reliably or economically. That is JMO and I know others disagree. Any of the big 3 big V8s will handle your situation in a 1/2 ton....if you don't decide to just get bigger and...…. Good luck and you will definitely love towing with a new truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote