View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #1249
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Got on the roof for inspection of all the sealants and added some Dicor in suspect areas. Looked at the HVAC fins and units for cleanliness. All good there! I noticed the the screw cap covers on both sides had stated coming off. Slid the covers back into the grooves for now and am looking to replace them if they come loose on the next trip. Lubed the gears on the slides with WD-40 Silicone spray after cleaning.

Need to treat the slide seals both inside and out. Do you guys have a recommendation for cleaning and conditioning the slide seals?

Don't wait! The OE inserts are junk. They WILL come out at the most inopportune moment. Never had an issue until this trailer; first trip to FL a strip under the front of the 5th wheel came loose and started flopping as we were leaving Monroe LA on I20 with 80mph traffic, very little shoulder (in the rough) and the flopping trim on the highway side. Stuffed it back in, made it to a wide out and put a dab of silicone on each side in the bend; been 2 years ago and no issue.

Fast forward to 6 days ago on our return to TX...last leg. About 55 miles from home saw a string of something flopping/flying in the 65mph breeze on the driver side of the trailer; the entire insert from front to back on the top of the roof had come out and was just whipping everywhere. Left it because it somehow whipped and stuck itself in the bottom of the channel. Just put in almost 40' of insert along that roof line 2 days ago, received my roll of another 50' yesterday and will be doing the same for much of the rest. The OE stuff is so thin and floppy it's useless. The new HD insert is MUCH better. I'm still putting dabs of sealant along the routes to keep them from letting go though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote