View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
What do people have for a dehumidifier? I have been looking for a couple smaller ones that are easy to travel with and store when not needed. We are taking our 1st retirement trip in March and April. Starting next winter, we plan to get out on Minnesota for about 4 months.

IMO whatever you do DO NOT get any dehumidifier that uses dessicant. It was not meant for dehumidifying a space as large as an RV and does not pull an appreciable amount of moisture out of the air - btdt.

The dehumidifiers that do an excellent job a removing moisture use a compressor. They come in various sizes. I've had a 35 pint but it was a bit too large and now carry an 11 pint (memory) that does the job but I wouldn't go smaller - I empty it twice a day here in FL. Jasin linked a 20 pint which would probably be ideal if you can find one.

We come from an arid climate and are used to very low humidity. Neither of us like it but we like to stay in humid areas which mandates the dehumidiers. Prior to using them we had issues with condensation on the windows, walls etc. as well as having a hard time sleeping feeling like we were "stuck" to the blankets from the moisture. Tried a couple of the dessicant "dehumidifiers" because of their size and low cost - might as well have put a roll of toilet paper on the counter to absorb humidity. Once we put in a compressor dehumidifier all that changed; no more condensation any where in the RV and being inside is as comfortable as sitting in our home in W TX, we won't go anywhere without it. Jason linked a Haier on Amazon, Lowe's sells them (we bought the 35 pint HiSense there (in the barn now) and we carry the smaller Ivation (11 pint) I bought on Amazon IIRC. In the humid places we like to go opening windows just makes things more uncomfortable.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote