View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #6
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hi,
Why are LifePO4 batteries rated in Amp Hours while Portable Power Stations rated in Watt Hours? How would you compare the two? If you had a 100 Amp Hour battery, what size Portable Power Station would be the equivalent?
Thanks.
I learned something about "portable power stations" this past Fall. Specifically, I learned about it having bought a 720Wh EcoFlow. And I think it's true about all of them.

Do not be misled into thinking these are a "12v source". They're not. It seems each manufacturer is different, but in general the battery pack in any of them is between, about, 20v and 26v.

That means you are powering an internal CONverter to reduce 20vdc(ish) to 12vdc. And just like an INverter, you're burning up power in overhead to MAKE 12v, and of course to make 5v for the USB outlets.

That means I never came close to getting 720Wh of 12v.

If you can live without the convenience of the packaging of the power station, you're better off with a 12v lithium iron 100ah or 50ah battery.

One other thing to watch for is the battery chemistry in the power station. Some are lithium iron, but many are lithium ion. That's a difference of 2000-5000 recharge cycles or getting 800ish recharge cycles.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote