View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #37
LadyFaire

Back after obama was elected and the gas prices shot through the roof ... The cost of fabric (I sew a LOT!) doubled. Not kidding. The reasoning behind the increase? The cost of fuel was at fault - it cost more to run the machines, to run the vehicles, etc - EVERY facet of manufacture and distribution. "Oh, the prices will come back down when fuel isn't so expensive!" No. It didn't. In fact, we've just seen another MASSIVE price increase. The reason? Fuel costs are up. It is so disgusting! Especially when you consider that almost NONE of the fabric is manufactured in the USA anymore. All of the mills in the Carolinas and Virginia? Closed. All of them. I'm sure that there is a mill or two still open in some part of the US, but I don't know where they are. The fabric we get now is mostly from Pakistan, India and China, and is NOT colorfast - that means it 'bleeds' in the laundry - ruining any clothing of other colors that are in that load, and the color fades so fast it is pathetic. Outsourcing has ruined this country. Well, the politicians that are responsible for that, have ruined this country. It is so sad. I think that is one reason I refuse to bow down and quit doing what I want/need to do. Yes, my in town driving has been cut way back - we consolidate trips for groceries, etc. But TRAVEL? Nope. I refuse to fly. I will NOT stay in a hotel, and I have grandkids and gr'grands to visit. I'm GOING. I don't care what it costs.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote