View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolftx View Post
Was he tasty?

It worked out Just threw together a pot of gumbo and he fit right in. Had a dove that had keeled over in the front yard (I guess from eating poisoned bugs), a rabbit that had been hit by something but looked pretty good and a gopher I had shot (I save everything). Threw em in the pot with some onions, celery, bell pepper, a little garlic and some shrimp I had frozen in the freezer (to kind of "tame" the flavor). It was a home run I gar-on-tee!! Made up containers and took to the neighbors then threw a burger on the grill......

All of that was more or less tongue in cheek; it's Sunday afternoon...but

It reminded me of a true story; the first time I had met true Cajuns, ate some "real" Cajun gumbo and heard some stories - many years ago. They had made a BIG pot of gumbo - it smelled absolutely out of this world. They made me a bowl and I wolfed it down. I went back to get more, took the ladle and stirred the pot; wrong thing to do. "Things" started floating to the top and sinking.....a turtle shell and I don't know what else. I'm sure my eyes looked a little glazed as I turned and asked "what's IN this pot"? My buddy looked at me, handed me another beer and told me, "don't ask and don't stir".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote